Monday, April 25, 2022

The Fairy of the Meadow

 






The Fairy of the Meadow



We are in your dream now.

I have visited before, but of course you don’t remember.

We can’t hold onto our dreams.

It would be a mistake even to try.

I don’t trust humans when they are awake. 

Not any more, at least.

My sisters and I were here 

long before your kind came.

Ours is the magic of the land and the water.

It is the oldest magic that exists.

You can find us in clouds and on mountaintops.

Yet, lately I have grown fond of this meadow

so I’ve decided to settle here.

I am not sure how long I will stay in your world.

Times have changed and I don’t seem to fit in.

Still, the meadow is nice and could use some protection,

so I am in no hurry to leave.

Most humans have moved away from here.

They live in cities now and rarely visit.

I am all alone most of the time.

Except for that oak.

That one is almost as old as I am.

He keeps me company, who else do I need?

When you wake up, leave some honey on your doorstep.

And, who knows, I might visit again.



Whose Dream


Who is the dreamer here?

Whose dream are we in?

Maybe the meadow is the one dreaming

And the two of us are caught inside.

We are the ones in the meadow, after all.

Not the other way around.

We are in a dream now.

That’s all we need to know.

The grass is soft, the sky is full of stars.

We won’t remember this tomorrow.

Nor will the meadow remember us for long.






GloPoWriMo Day 25 - an aisling
You can find more on Slavic mythology and vilas (Slavic fairies) here.






2 comments:

  1. ah, we both have the night realm foremost today. and no, the meadow won't ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. I will remember it, no matter who is dreaming.

    ReplyDelete