Friday, April 29, 2022

What they left under my pillow

 

Image by congerdesign from Pixabay







What they left under my pillow





Over here, it is a custom to leave some money 

under the baby’s pillow.

My family is different.

We never keep money for long.

It just slips through our fingers.

We are never short of it either.

My grandmother wished for a never-empty wallet,

just like hers had always been.

When she was out of money, 

she kept chili peppers inside.

That was what her soul craved for, she said.

She also gave me the gift of stories.

Hers always had a pepper or two added in

and she could make animals speak in funny voices.

My other grandmother knew spells.

She talked to the stars and they listened.

She knew the spell which could cast your fears into lead.

The lead takes the shape of your fear. 

After that, the lead is afraid, not you.

I am sure I could do spells with a bit of practice.

My ancestors came from the land of magic, after all.

What I can do, though, is tell your destiny from coffee grounds.

That is not a bad gift either.

My father gave me his silences

and the maddening habit to tinker with everything

in an attempt to make it better

or just different.

My mother couldn’t give me the silence.

She never had any to give.

She couldn’t stop talking, even in her sleep.

She didn’t give me her looks, or her character.

She gave me her time instead.

She stayed on long after the rest of them had left.

When she had to leave (because everyone does, eventually),

 the silence was deafening.

I don’t know who gave me the curse.

It could have been any of them, or all of them.

Maybe someone forgot to cut the cord

and now I am connected to you.

And when you cry, I cry too,

even though I have no idea

who you are

or why you are sad.








GloPoWriMo Day 29 - the gifts received at birth




2 comments:

  1. So very beautiful Natasa....This one tugged at all my heartstrings.. and made me feel that "now I am connected to you." .... loved those lines about your grandma's wish for a never-empty wallet (so very profound)... and I am guessing I am sort of like your mother (so silences to give...)

    ReplyDelete