Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Give This Thing a Title

 




Image by Markus Winkler from Pixabay




Give This Thing a Title


Tell me what this is about straight away. 

Don’t leave me guessing.  

If your opinion is required, it should be clear from the start.

If your opinion is not required, 

don’t bother telling me what it is. 

I don’t really care. 


Next, tell me everything I need to know. 

Please do your research before you even start. 


Avoid first person singular. 

This isn’t really about you.


Avoid second person singular. 

We are not friends. 


Now wrap it up already.

You failed to convince me, but then

I never really cared about that thing from the title.

It was your thing, not mine.






GloPoWriMo Day 19 - write a poem that starts with a command
I teach academic essay writing, among other things and right now I have a bunch of essays waiting to be checked as soon as I finish with this poem. I also have a terrible headache, which is making me cranky. 
I am thinking about showing this "essay writing instruction manual" to my students. Hopefully, they find it funny and, you know, useful. They know I do care about them.





2 comments: