Friday, April 17, 2020

With One Star Awake



Discarded





With One Star Awake



When I was cleaning the other day, I came across that audio cassette you recorded for me. I think we had been dating for a month then. It had some Irish ballads, a few songs by Leonard Cohen (you were not a fan, but you knew I was), Brass Buttons, which was to become Our Song. Some Cowboy Junkies. Bonnie Raitt. There was more, I can’t remember everything. You even wrote a dedication. “With one star awake”, it read. Which is from Wedding Day, sang by Van Morrison on the tape. Now, back then, when a boy liked a girl, he would make her a compilation cassette. He would hide his message inside. Nothing too obvious or cheesy. She would listen, over and over, wondering what he was trying to tell her. I have no idea how they do it these days. I still keep all my old tapes, though. They might come in handy one day, in case they start making cassette players again.




GloPoWriMo Day 17 - forgotten technology





6 comments:

  1. Really sweet. And now we only have a plethora of one hit wonders, but what we've lost is the hidden meetings between songs. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Yes, I was trying to explain this old-fashioned courting ritual to my students some time ago. I thought they would laugh, but they loved it.

      Delete
  2. Ahhh! I made many, got some, kept wondering about that Orange Crush. Such sweet memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet memories, indeed. I miss those times.

      Delete