Tuesday, April 21, 2020

The Passage of Time








The Passage of Time




Time changes everything
Why should it spare our lonely star?
This snow and this wind will be forgotten.
These daffodils will wilt.





GloPoWriMo Day 21 - a "homophonic translation"
I feel the need to explain my process today. What I did was not exactly a homophonic translation, which would be "translating" a poem based on its sounds. I chose a Turkish poem, since I am trying to learn a bit of Turkish on my own. There were some words I could understand, but my "knowledge" of Turkish is so basic that the general meaning escaped me. So, I started with what I could understand and came up with a very basic and terribly wrong "translation". Then I did what I always do - kept deleting, until I was left with something short that I could almost call my own. As a penance, I promise to learn the poem (the real poem, in Turkish) by heart. I still believe learning poetry by heart is one of the best ways to learn a language.



5 comments: