Saturday, April 25, 2020

River, at Springtime




Image by Peter H from Pixabay




River, at Springtime



I remember the day you came.
You built a bridge first, then a house on my banks.
My flow was interrupted where your dam now stands.
I don’t complain.
I am a well-behaved river these days.
Not that you would notice otherwise.
I haven’t seen much of you lately.
Spring came and you were not there to witness it.
I don’t miss you much, to be honest.
The sun still shines and lilacs are in bloom.
I wake up every morning and stretch my limbs in my narrow bed.
I wait for the change to come.
Do you remember what happened to your bridge last spring?
One day I will do the same thing to your dam.
Then I’ll take back what’s mine.
Just you wait.




For the record, I was following the exercise and free-writing for a while when my mother interrupted my free flow. This made its way into the poem and, in the editing stage, everything I had written before the distraction was removed.



2 comments:

  1. I really like this, especially the river "stretching" in its "narrow bed."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uuu, you make a great and menacing river.

    ReplyDelete