Monday, April 13, 2020

To My Teachers







To My Teachers



You probably never noticed me as
I sat there at the back
taking notes.
You probably thought I was busy  learning about
irregular verbs or whatever you were teaching
or thought you were teaching,
while I took in your every move, your mannerisms,
the way you pushed your hair back, the way you paced up and down the classroom.
your colourful skirts, your sensible neckties, the way you bent the textbook in the middle.
I stole it all from you – your strengths and weaknesses, your laughter and your silences.
I stole it all and copied it and made it my own.
Enemy from within, I stole the tricks of your trade.
For better or for worse, I am your exact copy.
I am all of you and
none of you.






GloPoWriMo Day 13 - a non-apology 

2 comments:

  1. Uhh, brilliant. :) I only stole the tricks of the pilates lessons. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Manja. Sorry it took me so long to reply, I somehow missed this comment.
      I never planned to become a teacher, but once I did, I remembered all of them - the good ones and the bad ones.

      Delete