Sunday, April 26, 2020

The Postcard of My City




Image by stevanaksentijevic from Pixabay




The Postcard of My City



My city, after sunset.
I don’t see you, but I hear you.
Fight them with noise, the newspaper said.
My grandmother told me to stay away from politics.
My memory is vague, but I know
this has all happened before.
We export angry people,
though you wouldn’t know it
if you could hear this silence.
Neat rows of red windows, closed.
Two dogs and a bird.
Acacias in bloom.
A sunny day.
When I was a child
I thought I would be able to fly
one day.
I have always been afraid of the dark.
Once I found a wedding ring in the floorboards
in my hotel room.
I gave it to the receptionist.
I don’t know if it was returned.
We export angry people,
those who stay are the musical ones.
He proposed to her on a cruiser, our guide said.
She turned him down, of course.
so he threw her passport overboard.
I don’t know how she returned home.
Maybe she never did.
I hear there is a shortage of angry people
in some countries.
Conspiracy theorists say this is all a lie.
My school uniform is a pair of silk pijamas
and an elegant blouse.
Sometimes, in my dreams,
I am riding a winged horse.
I know this has all happened before,
I am not sure when.
Fight them with noise, the newspaper said.
My grandmother told me to stay away from politics.
Everything was different once upon a time.
And what a good time it was.
He said in his letters that he missed her,
but I am too old to believe in fairy tales now.






GloPoWriMo Day 26 - Almanac Questionnaire




2 comments:

  1. Hmm...this is thought-provoking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, what a good time indeed. A great export of the times we have.

    ReplyDelete