Friday, April 12, 2019

My Grandmother's Paper Clips








My Grandmother's Paper Clips




They belonged to my grandmother,
and to her grandmother before her.
The craftsmanship is beautiful.
These are Gem clips,
made of steel wire,
bent into a perfect double loop.
None of my friends have anything similar.
They are a link to my female ancestors.
I have worn them all my life.
The clasp is strong,
 they can’t be removed.






GloPoWriMo Day 12 - a poem about a dull thing that you own.
The poem was based on the following anecdote of something that happened to me in 2011:






My Grandmother's Earrings





These earrings belonged to my grandmother. She got them from her grandmother when she was a little girl. In a way, they are a link to my female ancestors. 
The craftsmanship is beautiful. The earrings are flower-shaped and the blue petals are made of turquoise, which is my favourite stone.
A long time ago I decided I was going to wear them. They were different from anything my friends had. I wore them constantly for 20 years. The clasp is very strong and it was hard to remove them even when I wanted to. Until about a week ago when I lost one of them. I was really unhappy, but two days later I found it lying on the carpet, hiding in plain sight.
I was under the impression that my female ancestors were trying to tell me something. 
What could that be?












2 comments: