Wednesday, April 24, 2024

So that I don’t write about the blue rabbit

 






So that I don’t write about the blue rabbit




I

"So I strike a pose."

So I begin.

So I go and sharpen my pencils.

So I play some soft jazz.

So I see him in my mind’s eye.

So I refocus.

So I strike a new pose.

So I go and do something else.


II

You were not there when I tried to describe him.

You were not there when I failed.


III

I do this for your own good, you know.

Why should you reach for something you can’t have?

Now go back to sleep.


IV

I hope that he is safe out there.

Somewhere where you and I can’t find him.





Inspired by Dušan Radović's Plavi zec (Blue Rabbit). The first line ("So I strike a pose") is taken from Gavrilo Stanojević's translation.

2 comments:

  1. I've fallen in love wth this poem, and with the blue rabbit because of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose I should say 'these poems' but I think they add up to a whole,.

      Delete