Friday, April 28, 2023

The Little Black Notebook

 



Image created by Bing AI



The Little Black Notebook




So many forgotten names. Zdenka’s fruit cake. Zdenka is no longer alive. Olivera’s Spanish cake. I don’t remember eating this one. My mother couldn’t really cook or bake, but she loved eating. Apparently, she honoured the person who had given her the recipe, which is nice. Nada’s coq au vin. I wonder where she is now. We used to eat this every Sunday until I could no longer stand it. I wish someone would make me coq au vin now. Ankica’s Slovakian cake. Now, that was delicious, though I am not sure if it has anything to do with Slovakia. I didn’t know Ankica had given her the recipe.  That must have been so long ago! I should focus, I need to find the chocolate cake.  Branka’s meat pie. She died too. I miss her. I never liked meat pie. I still don’t. I loved Branka’s pancakes. Vinka’s fish stew. I hated the stew and only ate the bread. Slobodanka’s honey pie. Now, that doesn’t ring any bells. I don’t even remember eating it, but sometimes she would write something down just because someone said it was good.  No, I don’t remember half of these recipes, but they sound delicious. I have to try this pasta. Olgica’s baklava! That’s a secret recipe. If asked, she will make it for you, but she will not tell you the ingredients. How did my mother manage to convince her? Never mind, here it is. And here is the chocolate cake. It says Mom in brackets. My grandmother’s recipe. So many recipes. Fruit cake (Mica). Ice cream (Hranilovic). Hungarian pie (Jola). Blueberry wine (Mom). Moussaka (Simka). Soft cake (Juca). Chestnut cake (Brana). Milica’s cake. Canadian cake (excellent). I am going to keep cooking and baking, until I have tried out each one of them. I bet she used to think that too. I will need to start right now, or I will run out of time.






GloPoWriMo Day 28 - an index poem 




No comments:

Post a Comment