Sunday, April 11, 2021

You Really Should Have Visited

 







You Really Should Have Visited


I didn’t turn into a pile of rubble overnight. It takes years of neglect to reach this state. There is pain involved. At first, a slight itching under the skin, tiny wrinkles on the ceiling. And still this could have been fixed. A whiff of mold that only I could feel. Then there was that mysterious pain in my belly. Still nothing visible. Then the tiles started falling out every time there was a storm. You complained, but you never fixed anything. There were more cracks and this time they hurt. You cut that cherry tree that was protecting my entrance. You claimed it was sick and you were doing it to for my own good. You exposed me to the winds. My doors and windows became unhinged. Draft got in and I was forever cold. Then you no longer pretended that you cared. Once you stopped visiting, it was only a matter of time.


I am sorry it has taken me so long to respond, but we only managed to go there yesterday. The grass was indeed quite tall. We had to cut through the weeds to find the drive. Imagine thorns and acacia trees everywhere. Acacias smell sweet, but if you let them, they take over. You should have visited. Or you could have told me to come earlier, you know I would do anything for you. So, we found the drive, we cut through the weeds and we somehow managed to get in. The floods did a lot of damage. We found some new trees, I am not sure what they are yet. The grass was very tall in the garden and it took us a while to cut through it. The house… I am afraid it has tumbled downhill. You know it was only a matter of time before those old walls gave in. Well, nothing lasts for ever, I suppose. I hope my letter finds you in good health. Please let me know if there is anything else you would like me to do.




No comments:

Post a Comment