Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Missing

 






Missing

"The constant dream of my life came to me"

Nikiforos Vrettakos


                                                                                       


There is a place where I go to hide.

A secret place,

sad and beautiful.

I leave my body behind, as a ruse.

I smile, my head nods.

I make little encouraging noises.

She knows how to listen, they say,

she really understands.

That’s when I can leave safely.

They never notice I am missing.

I have brought this trick to perfection.

My secret place is sad and beautiful.

The world around me shifts according to my mood.

I have torn it down a thousand times

and built something new on the ruins.

It is mine, but I don’t own or control it.

The place is always new

and old landmarks no longer work.

This is a dream

of someone who never learnt how not to dream.

Sometimes things get messy and out of control,

in which case

I can always pop back into my body which is still sitting and listening.

And no one will know I was away.



GloPoWriMo Day 6 



No comments:

Post a Comment