Friday, April 29, 2016

Mulberries



Untitled
Photo Credit: nesson-marshall via Compfight cc

Mulberries


The first feature film I watched was about a girl who couldn't speak. When I went for a walk in the park, I liked to pretend that I was lost. I hated meat. My grandmother never let me talk about dead people. There was an earthquake and that winter we slept with our street clothes on. I tasted mulberries for the first time from a staircase in my aunt’s garden. The janitor was killed in a car crash and his daughter came to stay with us for a while. When they finished the foundations for our holiday house, I went around with a broom and swept the sand away. I was trapped inside the rectangle that was going to be a house. On my first day at school, I sat on fresh paint. Some children went across the railway tracks to smoke cigarettes. Mulberries make your lips turn blue. I was always thirsty because frogs lived inside my stomach.


GloPoWriMo Day 29

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Bennie. You have just boosted my self-esteem :). This was a difficult prompt for me, confessional poetry scares me.

      Delete