Thursday, April 24, 2014

The Secret Poems




                                                Photo Credit: Pensiero via Compfight cc



These secret poems
will not behave.
It is hard to keep them buried and hidden.
They scream all night.
They shout blasphemies.
They flirt and coax
and give false promises.
Their sisters, sleek and subdued,
heavily coded,
smart and demure,
they never ask for anything.
These abominations,
these first drafts,
lame and contorted,
they are the ones
that should be heard.
Or so they claim.
Sometimes they are quiet
for days
and I start hoping
that they have died,
eaten by bookworms,
turned into dust.
I even convince myself
they never existed,
that I dreamed them up.
Now that they are no more,
I keep thinking,
I'll finally get some sleep.
That's when I let my guard down.
That's when I forget to lock the dungeon.
They come out
and they bring with them
a new litter of
screaming brats.



                                    Photo Credit: garshna via Compfight cc



It is Day 24 of NaPoWriMo and today I didn't follow the prompt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment