Sunday, April 13, 2014

Salvation



We are all gone from this planet,
except for me.
And I only exist
In your dreams.
Every night
I come to you.
I lie by your bed
and let you stroke my horn.
In your dreams
I give you my horn
willingly,
because it’s the only thing
that can still save her.
I watch you
as you grind it into fine powder
and mix it with
raspberry juice.
Always her favourite.
She drinks it, then removes
the tubes they placed inside her.
The machines scream in panic.
In your dreams, she gets up,
her old self again,
then strokes my head,
which is now missing its horn.
In your dreams, I return
To the savanna,
to my brothers and sisters,
and everything is fine
once again.



Photo Credit: kaniths via Compfight cc


It is Day 13 in NaPoWriMo. For today's poem I used the Day 13 April PAD prompt, which was to write an animal poem. To find out more about the, now extinct, West African rhino and about the reasons that led to its extinction, I read this Wikipedia article

No comments:

Post a Comment