Monday, April 7, 2014

Alterations



Photo Credit: Markus Grossalber via Compfight cc

So you
don’t think I can make it fit,
turn it into
something  new, then pretend it has always belonged to me?
You say you don’t like
this thing I created with a
pair of scissors, or this hook
I used to button it up? This cocktail dress altered into
a skin graft creation, best worn as an
undergarment? Let me tell you something -  the eye
of this needle has seen a
lot of action. And my fish
bone and latch hook
stitching is impeccable. Yet you say an
overall result is that of an open
wound sutured with a button eye?


It is Day 7 in NaNoWriMo, yet I went back to one of the older challenges - the golden shovel.  This was quite a difficult challenge and I have been working on the poem for the past three days. It is still work in progress and it will probably take me months, or even years, to fix this "cocktail dress". Every tailor will tell you that alterations are often more difficult than making a new piece of clothing. 

Still, the poem has reached the stage when it can be blogged. Isn't NaPoWriMo all about lowering your inhibitions and teaching you to share even the poems you are not completely happy with?



Photo Credit: Melly Kay via Compfight cc


And the original I used for this golden shovel is the following poem by Margaret Atwood:


You Fit Into Me

you fit into me
like a hook into an eye
a fish hook
an open eye

No comments:

Post a Comment