Sunday, March 31, 2019

Self Portrait as Lady Macbeth








Self Portrait as Lady Macbeth


I never volunteered for this job. I was simply left behind as the armies marched on. I had too much time on my hands and idle hands are the devil’s workshop, so here I am. I go down every night and work in this minefield. Cleaning is a job like any other. Someone has to do it. Someone needs to fix everything that’s broken and a lot of things are broken down here. I never could sleep well anyway and I am afraid of the dark, so I wait for the day to come. Then I rest for a while. Nor do I mind this broken proze. Let’s leave the pentameter to heroes. I will not be remembered as a hero, but I do hope they will remember me as someone who was willing to get her hands dirty.  



GloPoWriMo Early Bird Prompt - a poetic self portrait in the guise of a historical or mythical figure

6 comments:

  1. Lol - Let’s leave the pentameter to heroes - what a legendary line :) I will certainly remember this poem for quite some time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, David. I am glad I made you laugh.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you, Benita. I never was too good with formal verse ;)

      Delete
  3. I love the way we dive straight in with the opening line here..

    ReplyDelete