Wednesday, April 23, 2014

The Underwater City


                                     Photo Credit: Helga Weber via Compfight cc

It is Day 23 of NaPoWriMo. Today's challenge was to find a poem in a language we don't know and translate it into English based on the look of the words and their sounds. What I did here was triple "translation". I chose poems in Russian, which I don't speak, but which happens to be very similar to Serbian (which is my mother tongue). I "translated" the poems into Serbian, then into English.

I chose three poems by Asya Schneiderman.



                                          Photo Credit: aussiegall via Compfight cc


The Hours


Nervously twitching,
quietly, silently the hours are walking.
I step over them
I step over the string of their numbers.
I am unfaithful to time.
Why wouldn't I be?
I reorder and simplify.
There is no time
(there is no time for me) -
time occupies huge spaces,
though time itself
is just hours walking.
I step over the string of their numbers -
and now I will live for ever -
I will live for ever.



                                      Photo Credit: faith goble via Compfight cc


The Stone Garden


A garden growing out of stone
mistress to the wind
his dwelling place.
There he is, walking inside,
created by me.
Just like his body.
Just like his soul.


                                     Photo Credit: chiaralily via Compfight cc


The City


An underwater city lay beneath us
With open domes, open, card domes -
jug-shaped domes made of playing cards -
a man and a woman -
the city built, desired.
Destroyed by this anger,
so much pain
between us,
between us and the sky.





No comments:

Post a Comment